Hepatitis B, C and HIV Infection
These diseases are caused by viruses that are a lot more common in certain populations an parts of the world. These viruses can be easily transmitted by a number of routes such as.
- Blood transfusion
- Medical procedures with non-sterile equipment
- Sharing of needles (e.g. tattooing, body piercing, acupuncture and drug abuse)
- Unprotected sexual contact
Remember not to let your guard down and put yourself in situations where viral transmission is possible.
- Only accept a blood transfusion when essential and life threatening.
- If travelling to a developing country, take a sterile medical kit.
- Avoid procedures e.g. ear or body piercing, tattooing and acupuncture.
- Avoid casual sex, especially without using condoms.
Remember Alcohol can put you in situations that you wouldn’t normally be in if you were sober.
For more information about Vaccinations against Hepatitis please follow the following links.
Please note there is no vaccination that currently protects you against HIV and Hepatitis C.